[GAP Forum] GAP www items (Jan 2007)

David Joyner wdjoyner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 15:10:27 GMT 2007

Hello all and Happy New Year!

Some recent updates to the GAP www site:

1. New packages:
IO (provides bindings for GAP to the lower levels of Input/Output
functionality in the C library) by Max Neunhoeffer

2. Recently updated packages:
Circle (provides functionality to compute in the
adjoint groups of associative rings) by Alexander Konovalov and
Panagiotis Soules

Design (for constructing, classifying, partitioning and studying block
designs) by Leonard H. Soicher

LieAlgDB (provides access to some classifications of small-dimensional
Lie algebras) by Willem De Graaf and Csaba Schneider

radiroot (can compute and display an expression by radicals for the
roots of a solvable, rational polynomial) by Andreas Distler

RDS (provides functions for finding relative difference sets in
non-abelian finite groups by complete enumeration - especially those
defining projective planes) by Marc Roeder

UnitLib (library of normalized unit groups of modular
group algebras of finite p-groups over the field of p elements for all
finite p-groups of order not greater than 128) by Alexander Konovalov
and Elena Yakimenko

Wedderga (provides Wedderburn decomposition tools for any group algebra)
by Angel Del Rio Mateos, Aurora  Olivieri, Alexander Konovalov, Gabriela
Olteanu, Osnel Broche Cristo

Package authors only:

1. I'd like to remind package authors, if I may, to please consider
adding to their package a file which describes the history or changes to
their package.
An excellent example is DESIGN, which includes
this information in the README file:
http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/pkg/design/README.design

2. I'd also like to ask package authors, if I may, to please consider
adding to their package a file which describes the distribution license
of their package.
Again, an excellent example of a GAP package which does this is DESIGN,
which includes this information in the README file. It may also do in a
file called COPYING or LICENSE. An excellent example of a license to use
is the GPL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/), which is used by GAP.

Thanks for your consideration!

- David Joyner