[GAP Forum] Running gap while offline on a Unix system?

Robert F. Morse rm43 at evansville.edu
Mon Oct 30 23:19:56 GMT 2006

Scott Anderson wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I am doing some computations that require the Unix
> server to work for a great many hours.  I dial in
> from home (well, I dial in to the Internet and then
> ssh onto the server, but you get the idea) and my
> ISP will disconnect me hours before the computations
> are finished.  (I'm computing automorphism groups of
> quantum codes, which I port from Magma into Gap, for
> the record.)
>

> I can easily put the entire computation script into
> a file, say "scott.g", and save the workspace at the
> end so I can come back later and load the workspace
> to get the results.  My question is, is it possible
> to tell Gap to run a particular script
> noninteractively?  Unix-wise, if I have a command
> that can run noninteractively I can "nohup
> <command-name> &", so can I use this with some
> option of Gap?  That is, can I say for instance
> "nohup gap < scott.g &" to get results?

Dear Scott,

You might consider the 'screen' command (most unix systems have it).
This allows you to have a terminal available and running all the time
which you can connect to anywhere to see how things are progressing.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Screen for a quick introduction and
further information.

Regards, Robert F. Morse