[GAP Forum] Browse package

Alexander Konovalov alexander.konovalov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 09:32:54 BST 2006

Dear Nilo and Rudolf,
Dear GAP Forum,

The Experimental GAP Installer for Windows (http://
ukrgap.exponenta.ru/wininst/wininst.htm)
contains not run-able version of the Browse package.

The concept of the Windows GAP Installer is to provide an automated
procedure of installing
the GAP system and packages, and it does only the following setup:
* unpacks archive in the selected folder
* adjusts *.bat files accordingly to the installation folder
* creates shortcuts in the Desktop, Start Menu and Quick Launch panel
(optionally)
* stores some information in the Windows registry (so you will be
able to see GAP in the
   list of installed programs)
* puts uninstaller to the GAP root directory
* creates gap.ini file in the Windows directory (to store GAP
version, GAP root directory
   and GAP packages directory)

GAP packages installer for Windows did not perform additional setup
of packages - it just
puts selected packages in the GAP packages directory, which it is
able to find automatically.
Thus, if all packages will be selected during the installation, the
result must be identical
to the installation of the merged archive of all currently
redistributed GAP packages in zoo
or win.zip format.

The idea is to give the Windows user all packages, even if they can
not be run on Windows.
So, one could browse their documentation and code in order to learn
them and maybe decide to
switch to UNIX environment to be able to really use them. I think
that this is also the case
of the Browse package.

Best wishes,
Alexander