[GAP Forum] New GAP package Browse

Frank Lübeck Frank.Luebeck at math.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Sep 1 15:11:41 BST 2006

Dear GAP Forum,

We are  happy to  announce a  beta-release (0.9)  of the  new GAP  4 package
"Browse".

The  focus of  this package  is the  interactive display  of two-dimensional
arrays of data, for example character tables, on text terminals.

The package  provides a low level  interface to the C  library ncurses. This
allows for  handling windows  displaying text with  some markup  and colors,
using the available capabilities of a terminal.

Based on this, the GAP  function NCurses.BrowseGeneric deals with displaying
two-dimensional  arrays  of  data,  handles labels  for  rows  and  columns,
searching, sorting, binding keys to actions, ...

Finally, there are several applications of this function, including a method
for browsing character tables, several games, and an interface for demos.

More information and the package archive can be found in
   http://www.math.rwth-aachen.de/~Browse/
(and soon in the usual location under www.gap-system.org as well).

If you are using the rsync Linux distribution from
   http://www.math.rwth-aachen.de/RsyncLinuxGAP/index.html
you just need to call 'gapsync'.

Comments about this package are welcome. With "beta-"release we mean that we
may change some details for a version 1.x, depending on your comments.

Kind regards,

    Thomas Breuer and Frank Lübeck