[GAP Forum] Re: [Group-pub-forum] A5 acting on 62 points

Steve Linton sal at dcs.st-and.ac.uk
Thu Aug 10 10:58:22 BST 2006

Here's one simpler solution, doing essentially the same thing you do, but
using a little more GAP machinery to do it more concisely:

gap> g := AlternatingGroup(5);
Alt( [ 1 .. 5 ] )
gap> h2 := Group((1,2)(3,4));
Group([ (1,2)(3,4) ])
gap> h3 := Group((1,2,3));
Group([ (1,2,3) ])
gap> h5 := Group((1,2,3,4,5));
Group([ (1,2,3,4,5) ])
gap> Action(g,Concatenation(RightCosets(g,h2),RightCosets(g,h3),
> RightCosets(g,h5)),OnRight);
<permutation group with 2 generators>
gap> NrMovedPoints(last);
62

	Steve

--
Steve Linton	School of Computer Science  &
      Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Computational Algebra