[GAP Forum] RightCosets and reconstructing a subgroup

Derek Holt dfh at maths.warwick.ac.uk
Wed Jun 7 15:38:18 BST 2006

Dear Caroline Keil, GAP Forum,

I don't think that just knowing coset representatives is enough information
to determine the subgroup H uniquely. For example, there are two non-conjugate
subgroups of G of index 3, H1 = < B, S*B*S > and H2 = < B, S^-1*B*S, S*B*S^-1 >,
and for both of these subgroups, [ One(G), S, S^-1 ] is a right transversal.

So I believe that you will need some extra information in order to find
generators of H. For example, if for an arbitrary element g of G you were
able to determine the coset representative rep(g) of g from your list, then
you could find the Schreier generators of H;
i.e.  H is generated by { r_i * x * rep(r_i*x)^-1 | i in {1..n}, x in {B,S} }.

Derek Holt.