[GAP Forum] Calling GAP from Java

Nilo de Roock ndroock1 at gmail.com
Wed May 17 11:28:08 BST 2006

Dear GAP forum,

( I hope this isn't too far off-topic. )

I am sure most, if not all of you, have worked with Mathematica. What I
particularly like about Mathematica, ( speaking as a Java programmer ), is
J/Link: I can use Java classes in the Mathematica language, or use
Mathematica as a computation-engine in my Java programs. I wouldn't be
here though if Mathematica could do algebra ( although
http://www.central.edu/eaam/index.asp is a start ).

If I only had a wrapper around GAP which enabled me to call it in a Java
program. I have been doing a bit of research and sofar all I could find is
http://javamath.sourceforge.net. The authors claim to have built a website
which remotely called GAP to create character tables, but the link is dead
and the project hasn't been updated since 2001. This brings me to my
questions:

Do you have any info, tips, links regarding GAP and Java? If you think it
can't be done ( rightly ), please let know? If there was a good wrapper
around GAP for Java would you use it?

Thanks in advance.

--
met vriendelijke groet,