[GAP Forum] galois group

Marco Costantini costanti at science.unitn.it
Wed Apr 26 18:03:39 BST 2006

Dear all,
Gap is an open source system, so each user can look at the code of each
function, to check both whether it is correct, and whether it does what the
user needs. (Yes, this requires time, but also reading and full understanding
a published paper requires time.)

Of course bugs in Gap happen, however, when bugs are reported, they are
usually fixed within a reasonable time. On the other hand, usually "bugs" in
published papers are not fixed, and it has been reported that one refereed
paper out of four contains at least a "bug".

So I would say that using a result from Gap may be at least as safe as using a
result from a published paper.

Best regards,
Marco Costantini