[GAP Forum] Rubiks cube and Fp groups

Rudolf Zlabinger Rudolf.Zlabinger at chello.at
Sat Apr 1 19:23:50 BST 2006

Dear Mr. Hulpke,

thank you for your quick answer. I was not surprised to see, that there are
random algorithms in use, i would have used also for similar purposes. But
the idea, that the relators could contribute, was too attractive for me.

Semidirect product is correct in this case, where S(8) doesn't  p e r m u t
e  the components of cycle^8, as defined for wreath products in general, so
the only permutation on cycle^8 components would be the identity. My
question was not formulated correctly and therefore misleading. But in our
context there is no ambiguity at all, as I can see now.

As you can see, I had (erroneously?) some more general definition of "wreath
product" in mind, where the power of first factor is somewhat independent
from the cardinality of workingset of the second factor, and semidirect
product would be a special case. The action on the components of first
factor by second factor had to be defined separately in this case.

In the meantime i found, that "wreath product" has a more strict meaning at
least in the context of GAP and from there my question was already answered.

thank you and best wishes, Rudolf Zlabinger