[GAP Forum] AppendTo problem with large strings

Alexander Konovalov alexk at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Tue Mar 28 09:15:15 BST 2006

Dear Helge,

You can use the 'SetPrintFormattingStatus' operation, which sets
whether the output will be formatted with line breaks and indentation,
or not.

There is also an operation 'PrintFormattingStatus' that can be used
to get information about the current setup for this option.

Please see their description and examples in the GAP Manual in your
GAP installation or online at the page
http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/htm/ref/CHAP010.htm#SSEC004.8

Also, for writing huge amounts of data efficiently with GAP the
utility functions 'PrintTo1', 'AppendTo1' and 'FileString' from the
GAPDoc package by Frank Lübeck and Max Neunhöffer
(http://www.gap-system.org/Packages/gapdoc.html) may also be
interesting  for you.

Best wishes,
Alexander Konovalov