[GAP Forum] finding automorphisms of finitely presented groups

Alexander Hulpke hulpke at mac.com
Thu Mar 16 17:03:14 GMT 2006

Dear GAP-Forum,

On Mar 16, 2006, at 5:58 AM, Robert Heffernan wrote:

> I do have a followup question, if anybody can help.
> I have created a finitely presented group G
> F:=FreeGroup("a","b","c","d");;a:=F.1;;b:=F.2;;c:=F.3;;d:=F.
> 4;;rels:= <some words in terms of a,b,c and d>G:=F/rels;a:=G.
> 1;;b:=G.2;;c:=G.3;;d:=G.4;;
> I have then created a new set of words/relations, rels2 say, in
> termsof a,b,c and d (by calculating with things in G).
> Now I want to create a new finitely presented group in a manner
> such as this:H:=F/rels2;
> However, I can't do this directly as a,b,c and d are now elements
> of G, not F.
> I can't find a simple way to relate a,b,c and d back to the
> generatorsof the free group F,

You have three options. In order from ``cleanest'' to ``most
technical'':
a) From a `GroupHomomorphismByImages' from F to G, mapping F.i to
G.i. Then take the `PreImagesRepresentative' of your words.
b) Use `MappedWord' to map a word in the G.i to a word in the F.i
c) For any element of G, `UnderlyingElement' returns the
corresponding element of F, i.e. the relators you want.

Best wishes,

     Alexander Hulpke

-- Colorado State University, Department of Mathematics,
Weber Building, 1874 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
email: hulpke at math.colostate.edu, Phone: ++1-970-4914288
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke