[GAP Forum] Unexpected Behaviour in Size()

Alexander Hulpke hulpke at mac.com
Sun Feb 26 18:21:56 GMT 2006

Dear GAP-Forum,

Nilo de Roock wrote:

On Feb 26, 2006, at 9:39 AM, Nilo de Roock wrote:

> Hello GAP forum,
>
> I created the free group ( i got this spec. for the group from a
> textbook-exercise ):
> gap> F:=FreeGroup(3);
> <free group on the generators [ f1, f2, f3 ]>
> gap> x:=F.1;
> f1
> gap> y:=F.2;
> f2
> gap> z:=F.3;
> f3
> gap> G:=F/[y^3*z^15,x^4*y^7*z^3,x^8,y^14,z^18];
> <fp group on the generators [ f1, f2, f3 ]>
>
> Then when I wanted to now the size of the group, GAP became a bit
> of erratic.

I would not call this erratic.

This is the expected behaviour, as there are fundamental difficulties
on algorithmic methods for finitely presented groups. (The so-called
``word problem''.)
You might want to read the AMS notices article by 'Akos Seress
(notices.ps on the page http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~akos/ )
or the recent ``Handbook of Computational Group Theory'' by Holt et.
al. for methods used and some of the fundamental problems arising.

GAP issues warnings that it is performing a lot (probably more than
you expected) work, and still does not have a result. This is an
indication that you might needs lots of memory or would be on the way
of overloading your computer without ever getting a result -- GAP is
trying to stop you doing something you don't really want.

In your case, GAP tries to compute the size of an fp group by
calculating the index of a cyclic subgroup and rewriting the
presentation. However an easy calculation (abelian invariants of G')
shows that your group is infinite and cannot have any cyclic subgroup
of finite index.

Best wishes,

     Alexander Hulpke

-- Colorado State University, Department of Mathematics,
Weber Building, 1874 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
email: hulpke at math.colostate.edu, Phone: ++1-970-4914288
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke