[GAP Forum] Need help

Stefan Kohl kohl at mathematik.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Aug 30 13:21:26 BST 2005

Dear Forum,

Muniru Asiru wrote:

> Sometimes when I am running a very large program on
> loop, gap often returns an error message likke the one
> below:
>
> exceeded the permitted memory (`-o' command line
> option) at
> t := t + 1;
>  called from
> <function>( <arguments> ) called from read-eval-loop
> Entering break read-eval-print loop ...
> you can 'quit;' to quit to outer loop, or
> you can 'return;' to continue
> brk>
> brk>
>
> How do I avoid this?
>
> My program is pretty large. It involves a matrix of
> order 3600 by 3600.

For general help, see the FAQ:
http://www.gap-system.org/~gap/Faq/Complaints/complaints2.html.

The command line options -o and -m for parametrizing GAP's
memory allocation can sometimes be helpful as well:
http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/htm/ref/CHAP003.htm#SECT001

However, in general it is a good advice to try to reduce
the computational complexity of a problem by means of theoretical
considerations before starting a computation which needs enormously
much memory or runtime.

Hope this helps,

     Stefan Kohl