[GAP Forum] Rational exponents of indeterminates

Stefan Kohl kohl at mathematik.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jun 15 09:42:30 BST 2005

Dear Forum,

Bulutoglu Dursun A Civ AFIT/ENC wrote:

> Let x be an indeterminate over rational numbers. I was wondering
> if it is possible to represent x^(1/7) in GAP or in Singular. This is
> possible in Mathematica.

Short answer: No.

GAP implements a polynomial ring (in fact a ring of Laurent polynomials)
with countably many indeterminates. x^(1/7) is not an element of this ring,
thus cannot be represented in GAP.

Concerning Singular and Mathematica: Please understand that we do not give
advice about computer algebra systems other than GAP. You may contact the
Singular Group resp. Wolfram Research instead.

Best wishes,

     Stefan Kohl