[GAP Forum] GAP4r4p5 and DirectoryTemporary() on Windows 2000

Gary Zablackis gzabl at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 17:44:36 BST 2005

Dear GAP Support and GAP Windows users,

The GAP update GAP4r4p5 contains Cygwin1.dll version 1.5.16, in which the functionality of mkstemp() has been modified, breaking any GAP packages (such as automata and others) which create more than one temporary directory during a single invocation of GAP. Cygwin1.dll versions 1.5.12 and earlier would create a new temporary directory on each invocation of mkstemp() (which is called from DirectoryTemporary()). With versions 1.5.15 and 1.5.16, mkstemp() attempts to make the same directory each time within the same invocation of GAP.
I have searched the Cygwin mailing list and found one reference to the problem which may indicate that this is not a problem on Windows XP.
I will perform further testing and investigation in the next few days to see what can be done about this on Windows 2000.

Sincerely,
Gary Zablackis