[GAP Forum] Front end for GAP

Yevgen Muntyan muntyan at math.tamu.edu
Thu Apr 7 23:52:36 BST 2005

David Joyner wrote:

> If you make the command line
>
> ggap -g "my_favorite_gap -blah -blah"
>
> work, doesn't that mean that you can load GAP into ggap with a workspace?
> http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/htm/ref/CHAP003.htm#SECT011

Sure. ggap doesn't care about how you start GAP. You set the whole command
line in the Preferences dialog, and ggap executes it. By the way, if you opt
to use ggap shared package, then ggap silently appends '-l
<path_to_ggap_package>'
line to your command line.
Bad thing for now is just that there is no such a command line option,
and you can
set it only in the preferences dialog (or modifying ~/.ggaprc file).

> Think of it this way: If you use a workspace then GAP loads in a
> second or 2.
> If you don't then it takes 10-30 seconds to load (or longer, if you
> have an old machine).
> It is easy to get accustomed to doing something faster but less easy to
> get used to doing something slower. Right? So, yes I think it would be
> useful.

Sorry, i was talking about ggap functionality, not about GAP. Of course this
feature of GAP is useful; I wasn't sure ggap needed to deal with it.

> It would also be useful for ggap to have a Save menu item for saving
> the workspace.

Okay.

> I also think it would help to have tutorial for ggap.

Yeah, documentation is certainly needed. Some day I will write it.
Unfortunately,
I am not a good writer (apart that my English is too far from being
perfect).

Thank you,
Yevgen