[GAP Forum] Front end for GAP

Yevgen Muntyan muntyan at math.tamu.edu
Thu Apr 7 19:31:10 BST 2005

Ivan Andrus wrote:

> It seems to compile and install okay on OS X 10.3.8,

Could you please tell me how do you get gtk so I could try it? At the
moment I have access to some OSX servers, but they don't have gtk
installed and I have no idea how to do things on mac.

> except that when I run it, it never seems to finish loading.  The GUI
> comes up, but not GAP.  (see screen shot).  I can open up a text
> editor, and the python console, the about box, etc, but when I press
> the prefs button, it pauses for a while and then gives a segmentation
> fault.
>
> I would be more than willing to try anything that you think might
> help.  I do have a custom shell script which I invoke as gap.  Could
> this be a problem?

Custom shell script may be a problem probably (though it should not),
but ggap should not crash in first place. Please try the new version
from http://ggap.sourceforge.net/ , I hope it solves the problem.
Though who knows? You see, GTK libraries which are used in ggap are
not officially ported to Mac OS X, so that crash may be my bug or library
bug (I hope it was my bug).

> Where does it store what executable should be run as GAP?

GGAP stores it in its settings, and you enter it in the Preferences dialog.
When it will stop crashing, you should be able to set gap executable (or
shell script) in the preferences.

Thank you,
Yevgen

P.S. Maybe you know about IRC?