[GAP Forum] Problem with win xp installation and gbasis computations

Marco Costantini costanti at science.unitn.it
Tue Mar 29 13:56:41 BST 2005

Dear Tasos,

On Monday 28 March 2005 23:32, Tasos Papathanasiou wrote:
> i am a new user of GAP.

Welcome!

> I tried to install it on Windows XP operating
> system.After installing the main archive gap4r4p4 and
> packages-2005_03_18-11_47_UTC in the specified folders i don't know
> where to install the other 2 packages:xtom1r1 and tools4r4p2.

Someone else will answer about these problems privately. However, for any
problem about installing Gap, feel free to write to support at gap-system.org .

Note also that even without these two packages, all the other parts of Gap are
expected to work correctly.

> I also
> want to ask where can i find information about computing Groebner
> Basis and solving polynomial Systems.

My suggestion about computing Groebner Basis and solving polynomial Systems
in Gap is to use the Gap package "singular", which is included in the packages
that you have already installed.

(I'm going to release a new version of the package "singular" soon, and that
will be announced in the Gap-forum. Before that, you can get an up-to-date
version of the documentation at
http://www-math.science.unitn.it/~costanti/manual.pdf .)

All the best,
Marco Costantini