[GAP Forum] Speed of GAP

Steve Linton sal at dcs.st-and.ac.uk
Sun Feb 27 15:39:39 GMT 2005

Dear GAP Forum

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:03:10 -0500
"Bulutoglu Dursun A Civ AFIT/ENC" <Dursun.Bulutoglu at afit.edu> wrote:

> 	I was wondering, if I compiled my GAP code using GAC is there a
> guarantee that it will run as fast as the C version of my code?
> 	Dursun.

No, I am afraid not. It is hard to be more precise without knowing what your
code is doing, but in general GAC will no produce code that runs as fast as
native C code. On the other hand, the compiled code can still draw on the full
resources of the GAP kernel and library, which stand-alone C code cannot.

	Steve

--
Steve Linton	School of Computer Science  &
      Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Computational Algebra