[GAP Forum] Compiling GAP under Windows 2000 and mingw.

Sergio De Los Santos s.delossantos at amena.com
Sun Jan 30 16:33:20 GMT 2005

Hello all.

My intention is to build a Visual Basic Interface mainly to pacakage GUAVA. I'm not any expert in programming, but my idea is to build some DLL with C source and call functions from Visual Basic.

Is it possible? I have researched for a while and found this:

http://www.gap-system.org/ForumArchive/Pasechni.1/Dmitrii.1/using_GA.1/1.html

that says it is not "easy" or mainly impossible to use C source as a C library.

Should I try?

I can't even compile it under Windows 2000 using mingw. I get lots of errors. Basicly, I'm trying to follow this pages way:

http://www.gap-system.org/ForumArchive/Hirbawi.1/Jacob.1/RE__Trou.1/1.html

of course the program has changed a lot since 1993, and it is not that way anymore. I use it as an "idea". Some files, like c_oper1.c, just shows lots of errors... Even if I fix some of then, and using a "hand edited" config.h, there are always missing symbols or even syntax errors on this and other file compilations.

I would appreciate some indications about compiling under Windows 2000 using mingw.

By the way, while compiling system.c, I always get this error:

d:\Tools\mingw\bin>gcc -c .\src\system.c
src/system.c:136: parse error before '=' token

wich is this line.

const Char * SyArchitecture = SYS_ARCH;

I don't know why.

I think once i get some dll files with the importan functions, to build an interface is not difficult at all. If it is impossible I would use pipes to pass parameters to gap.exe, but, first of all I would like to be able to build my own exe file.

Any kind of advise or indication would be considered and appreciated.

Thanks a lot.