[GAP Forum] Removing identifiers in GAP

Alexander Hulpke hulpke at math.colostate.edu
Sat Nov 27 17:22:02 GMT 2004

Dear GAP-Forum,

Bulutoglu Dursun wrote:

> 	I was wondering if it is possible to remove several identifiers
> for several global variables at once.
> 	Is there a way to do something like "Unbind(a,b,c);"?
> 	"Unbind(a,b,c);" does not work.

No -- `Unbind' takes only one argument. (The reason for this lies in the way
`Unbind' has to be implemented: It is not a function, but specially
recognized by the parser. Thus `Unbind(abcde)' will never trigger a warning
``unknown variable abcde'', even if the variable is not known.)

(If you need to unbind a vast number of variables you could do this by
creating a string with `Unbind' commands and executing it via a stream.)

Best wishes,

    Alexander Hulpke