[GAP Forum] Schreier-Sims for matrix gps paper

David Joyner wdj at usna.edu
Fri Oct 29 12:06:41 BST 2004

FYI: A new paper on implementing Schreier-Sims alg for matri groups in
GAP by
H Baarnhielm has appeared on
the math arcxiv: http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0410593

Here's the abstract:
This is the report of a project with the aim to make a new
implementation of the Schreier-Sims algorithm in GAP, specialized for
matrix groups. The standard Schreier-Sims algorithm is described in some
detail, followed by descriptions of the probabilistic Schreier-Sims
algorithm and the Schreier-Todd-Coxeter-Sims algorithm. Then we discuss
our implementation and some optimisations, and finally we report on the
performance of our implementation, as compared to the existing
implementation in GAP, and we give benchmark results. The conclusion is
that our implementation in some cases is faster and consumes much less
memory.