[GAP Forum] Re: Semisimple groups

Derek Holt dfh at maths.warwick.ac.uk
Sat Sep 25 18:15:47 BST 2004

Dear GAP-Forum,

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 09:29:21AM -0600, Alexander Hulpke wrote:
> Dear GAP-Forum,
>
> Alireza Abdollahi wrote:
>
> > I need to compute  all "semisimple subgroups" (up to
> > isomorphism) of the direct product of seven
> > SymmetricGroup(10).
> > (By a semisimple group I mean a finite non-trivial
> > group which contains  no non-trivial abelian normal
> > subgroup.)
> >
> > Does anyone know an "ad hoc" way to compute all such
> > subgroups with GAP?
>
> I think the image under each projection on on of the 7 copies of S_10 has to
> be semisimple again. Thus you are looking for iterated subdirect products
> of 7 groups, each of which is a semisimple subgroup of S10.

I think this is going to be a horrendously difficult problem!
It would not be impossible to write down the possible socles of the
semisimple subgroups of (S10)^7, and then one could classify the
semisimple groups according to their socle.

Possibly the most difficult of these subcases is groups with socle
(A5)^14 (14 copies of A5). Such groups G satisfy
(A5)^14 < G < (S5 wr C2)^7, where the quoteint group (S5 wr C2)^7/(A5)^14
is isomorphic to the direct product (D8)^7 of 7 copies of the dihedral
group of order 8. So to get isomorphism classes of the possible G, I
think one needs to find representatives of the subgroups of (D8)^7 under
the action of S7 permuting the direct factors of (D8)^7.

This would seem to be very difficult - (D8)^7 has one heck of a lot so
subgroups!

Derek Holt.