[GAP Forum] Fw: help with permutation groups

Steve Linton sal at dcs.st-and.ac.uk
Sun Sep 19 23:57:22 BST 2004

This was sent to the old address:

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:31:31 -0400
From: Ayan Mahalanobis <amahalan at fau.edu>
To: gap-forum at dcs.st-and.ac.uk
Subject: help with permutation groups

Hello all,
I need some help working with permutation group. I am working with the
schreier-sims algorithm as implemented in GAP. I am usin StabChain to
create a record for the group (as I understand it right now). Then say I
want to create a random element of the group. I want to proceed in the
folowing way, pick an random coset and then  a coset representative
of G_{i+1} in G_i for each i and multiply them.

Also suppose I have a element g of the group and I want to do a
constructive membership testing, i.e. I want to find the word in stab
chain representing g.

I think the information is there hiding in the record. Can some one
please point me to the right direction.

Thanks in advance
Ayan

--
Steve Linton	School of Computer Science  &
      Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Computational Algebra