[GAP Forum] New GAP web site

Edmund Robertson edmund at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Fri Jul 16 10:52:43 BST 2004

Dear Forum members

May I inform you that the new GAP web site is now active. It now
replaces the previous site. You can see it at the old URL:

http://www.gap-system.org/

I would like to take this opportunity of thanking the many people who
have helped develop the site. I'm sure you will all join me in thanking
them all. In particular:

Thanks to Alexander Hulpke for his work on the former GAP web site.
Much of the present site is based on his contributions.

Thanks to Leonard Soicher who, over two years ago, proposed the
basic design criteria on which the site is based.

Thanks to Max Neunhoeffer for the 'mixer' program which separates
the definition of a 'spanning tree' from writing the individual
pages. The 'mixer' has been a most valuable tool in the
development of the new web site. Thanks also for all his work in
installing the site on the St Andrews computers.

Thanks to Frank Luebeck for his work on the 'Download' and the
'Package' branch that will now be regularly kept up to date using
scripts that Frank has written for the purpose.

Thanks to Volkmar Felsch for devoting so much time over the last year
to developing the new site.

Thanks to Joachim Neubueser for his all his efforts in preparing the
new site and also in coordinating the whole project.

I would further like to take this opportunity of thanking the many
people who have provided helpful feedback as the site was being
developed. Also thanks to those in St Andrews who have assisted.

Finally I am delighted to announce that Joachim Neubueser has agreed
to act as maintainer of the new web site for the immediate
future. In a separate message he will give some comments on the
new web site.

Edmund Robertson

Professor E F Robertson
Chairman of GAP Council
Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Computational Algebra
Mathematical Institute
University of St Andrews
St Andrews KY16 9SS
Scotland