[GAP Forum] generic character tables

Marco Costantini costanti at science.unitn.it
Sun Jun 20 13:27:00 BST 2004

Dear Marcus and dear gap-forum,

Scrive marcus at math.uic.edu:

> CHEVIE apparently does
> this, but it seems
> to require version 5
> of Maple, which I can't
> find anywhere.

Maple 5 is available at the Medicis computing center; see
http://www.medicis.polytechnique.fr/ and
http://www.stix.polytechnique.fr/medicis/ri.html
They give account for free to do research, and they have both Gap (versions
4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4) and Maple (versions 5.4, 5.5, 6, 7, 8, 9).
I don't know whether they have Gap3 installed.

> My network administrator
> has version 6. Will
> this work?

My suggestion (this is a general suggestion for "Will this work?", and not
specific to your problem) is to try and to find out. If it works, you can
send a report to the CHEVIE authors, so that they can update the
documentation. If it doesn't work, you can try to fix it by yourself, and
then you can send the fix to the CHEVIE authors. If you can not fix it by
yourself, you can send a detailed bug report (see
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html ) so that the CHEVIE
authors can fix it.

Greetings,
Marco Costantini