[GAP Forum] (no subject)

Thomas Breuer thomas.breuer at math.rwth-aachen.de
Fri May 7 17:21:15 BST 2004

Dear GAP Forum,

Parth Dixit wrote

>    Is there any way to compute the extnsion of character in GAP (given 
> that it exists) of subgroup to its parent group?thanks in advance
If the given character chi of the subgroup H is irreducible
then one possibility would be
to compute all irreducible characters of the supergroup G,
then to compute their restrictions to H,
and then to fetch those irreducibles of G that restrict to chi.

If the given character chi is a permutation character of H
and one is interested in the extension of chi as a permutation character
of G then the GAP function `PermChars' can be used to compute
candidates (which then have to be verified).

All the best,

More information about the Forum mailing list