[GAP Forum] Frobenius normal form (explicit change of basis)

Hulpke,Alexander Alexander.Hulpke at colostate.edu
Wed May 3 18:40:14 BST 2017

Dear Forum, Dear Alexander

> I am looking for a function that takes as input a square matrix M over a finite field k and outputs a regular matrix T over k, of the same dimension as M, such that TMT^(-1) is in Frobenius normal form (aka rational canonical form). Is there a simple way to construct such a function from GAP's built-in functions?

As long as only basic (not guaranteed to be particular efficient) functionality is required, this can be added reasonably easily to GAP.

In name-based favoritism, I have put together such a routine

RationalCanonicalFormTransform  (which will return the transforming matrix T such that T^-1MT is RCF), it is located at

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xm5713mdif00gyd/rcft.g?dl=0

and needs to be read in with `Reread` as it overwrites a library function.

It implements the basic algorithm (as described in chapter 12.2 of Dummit&Foote) and will thus not be as efficient as it could be theoretically.

Hope this helps,

   Alexander

-- Colorado State University, Department of Mathematics,
Weber Building, 1874 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
email: hulpke at colostate.edu, Phone: ++1-970-4914288
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke