[GAP Forum] More information about Groups St Andrews 2017 in Birmingham

Colva Roney-Dougal colva.roney-dougal at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Apr 28 09:21:05 BST 2017

Dear Forum,

The organizers of Groups St Andrews 2017 in Birmingham have the following further information (also found on the conference website).  The majority of this information has already been circulated to those who requested to be kept updated.

1. We would first like to remind you that registration for the conference is open and, in particular, Early Bird Registration remains open until the 1st May.  (See http://www.groupsstandrews.org/2017/register.shtml for details)

2. We are pleased to announce that the majority of the talk titles for the invited speakers are now available:

Main Speakers:
Michael Aschbacher (Caltech) - Finite simple groups and fusion systems
Pierre-Emmanuel Caprace (Université Catholique de Louvain) - Locally compact groups beyond Lie theory
Radha Kessar (City, University of London) - On characters and p-blocks of finite simple groups
Gunter Malle (TU Kaiserslautern) - Local-global conjectures

One-Hour Speakers:
Tim Burness (University of Bristol) - Simple groups, generation and probabilistic methods
Vincent Guirardel (Université de Rennes 1) - tba
Harald Helfgott (University of Göttingen) - The diameter of the symmetric group: ideas and tools
Andrei Jaikin-Zapirain (Universidad Autónoma de Madrid) - On l2-Betti numbers and their analogues in positive characteristic
Donna Testerman (École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne) - Representations and subgroup structure of simple algebraic groups

Abstracts are available on the conference website (http://www.groupsstandrews.org/2017/abstracts.shtml)

3. We are now ready to receive information about contributed talks.  If you would like to give a talk at the conference, please complete the template found on the website and email it to us at the conference address (groups2017 at mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk).  The template can be found (together with a little more information) at: http://www.groupsstandrews.org/2017/talks.shtml

The deadline for submitting a talk title to us is: 1st July.

4. As with previous Groups St Andrews conferences, we expect to be publishing a volume of proceedings containing articles written by the invited speakers together with survey articles contributed by delegates.  Information on contributing survey articles is also found on the website (http://www.groupsstandrews.org/2017/proceedings.shtml).  The deadline for submitting an survey article for the proceedings is 18th August.  Feel free to contact the conference organizers if you would like to discuss a possible article to contribute to the proceedings.

We hope to see you in Birmingham in August.

The conference organizers:
Colin Campbell, Chris Parker, Martyn Quick, Edmund Robertson & Colva Roney-Dougal

Colva Roney-Dougal
Reader in Pure Mathematics
Director of the Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Computational Algebra
Editor of Proceedings A of the Royal Society of Edinburgh
Editor of Royal Society Open Science
President of the Mathematical Sciences Section of the British Science Association
Director of Undergraduate Mathematics Admissions

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC013532