[GAP Forum] A question about rank of a matrix

Sven Reichard sven.reichard at tu-dresden.de
Fri Mar 3 08:23:52 GMT 2017

Dear Rahul,

the expression [A,B] denotes a list with the two entries A and B. GAP
does not understand that you want to write the two matrices next to each
other.

In GAP a matrix is represented as a list of list. The rows of the matrix
you are interested are the concatenations of the corresponding rows of A
and B. So you can define
gap> C := List([1..Length(A)], i -> Concatenation(A[i], B[i]));
and then compute
gap> Rank(C);

Hope this helps.

Sven Reichard