[GAP Forum] XGAP

Alexander Konovalov alexander.konovalov at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Nov 22 14:25:43 GMT 2016

Dear Abdulhakeem Alayiwola,

As you wrote to me, you have Windows and you are interested in lattices of subgroups.

You can't install XGAP on Windows since it requires UNIX environment. For example, it
works on Linux and on OS X (needs XQuartz - https://www.xquartz.org/). For Windows
machine, one suggestion could be to install VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/)
and establish Linux virtual machine.

Hopefully the functionality you want will eventually appear in the GAP Jupyter
interface (http://opendreamkit.org/activities/2016-08-03-gap-docker-jupyter/),
but it's not there yet.

However note that under Windows you should be able to compute the lattice of subgroups
using `LatticeSubgroups` and then explore it from GAP. Strictly speaking, XGAP
is needed to *visualise* the lattice of subgroups, but not to *compute* it. There
is also a GAP function `DotFileLatticeSubgroups ` that produces an input file for
GraphViz (http://www.graphviz.org) which you will hopefully be able to used under
Windows. See this example:

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1737962/subgroup-lattice-of-ut3-3/1737985#1737985

Hope this helps