[GAP Forum] GUAVA and matrix standard forms

R.N. Tsai r_n_tsai at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 06:06:27 BST 2016

The GUAVA command PutStandardForm can be used to get standard forms for matrices over GF(2) : :
 perm:=PutStandardForm(A,true);   # to get mat ~ [ I | B ]
 perm:=PutStandardForm(At,false); # to get mat ~ [B | I ]

"perm" can be used to get a permutation matrix (P) so that M*A*P^-1 has the desired form.The problem is that the matrix "M" is not provided and I need that for my calculations.Is there a way to get that from GUAVA or from other commands? I looked at using SemiEchelonMatTransformation but wasn't able to work out the details.These are commonly used standard forms, so I'm hoping the details have been workedout already within GAP or a package. I would also like to be able to handle matrices that arenot full rank (PutStandardForm assumes full rank).Thanks for your help.R.N.