[GAP Forum] Automorphism group of Aut(D2n)

tkohl at math.bu.edu tkohl at math.bu.edu
Tue Jul 19 14:26:14 BST 2016

There are a couple of ways to do it:

n:=3;; # or whatever value you wish
G:=DihedralGroup(2*n);
RG:=Action(G,Elements(G),OnRight);  # basically the right regular representation
AutG:=Action(AutomorphismGroup(G),Elements(G));

Alternately, you can do this:
n:=3;;
G:=DihedralGroup(2*n);
RG:=Action(G,Elements(G),OnRight);  # basically the right regular representation
HolG:=Normalizer(SymmetricGroup(2*n),RG);;
AutG:=AsGroup(Filtered(Elements(HolG),g->OnPoints(1,g)=1));;

which is a bit more computationally intensive as n increases because
one is filtering the elements of a group (the holomorph).

However, it's nice in that it is a manifestation of one of the classic
definitions of the automorphism group, namely as the set of those elements
(permutations of G as a set) which normalize the right (or left) regular
represenation and fix the identity, which of course the automorphism group
*must* do.

(Note, the ambient symmetric group these are embedded in is not Perm(G)
but rather S_{2n}, so one is tacitly identifying '1' with 'e_G' the identity
of G.)

	-Tim K.