[GAP Forum] make testinstall fails with GAP 4r8p4

Alexander Konovalov alexander.konovalov at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sat Jun 11 22:38:42 BST 2016

Dear Bill,

First, this problem will not affect anyone who installed GAP using the
full distribution downloaded from http://www.gap-system.org/Releases/,
which includes all packages currently redistributed with GAP, so I
suggest to discuss it in the open GAP development mailing list (CC).

> On 11 Jun 2016, at 22:20, Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert at math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
>
> Dear GAP team,
>
> I just tried to build gap 4r8p4 and make testinstall fails:
>
> testing: /tmp/gap4r8/tst/testinstall/morpheus.tst
> ########> Diff in /tmp/gap4r8/tst/testinstall/morpheus.tst, line 14:
> # Input is:
> LoadPackage("autpgrp", false);;
> # Expected output:
> # But found:
> #I  autpgrp package is not available. Check that the name is correct
> #I  and it is present in one of the GAP root directories (see
> '??RootPaths')
> ########

The call to LoadPackage has been already removed from this file in the master branch:

https://github.com/gap-system/gap/blob/master/tst/testinstall/morpheus.tst

so in this case neither this warning nor the one below should not appear.

Note that the performance of the system without autpgrp will be worse.
In particular, it significantly improves the performance of AutomorphismGroup
for p-groups. There are some other packages which also improve or extend the
performance, and while there is an interest of testing the core GAP system
without packages, and documenting dependencies better, for practical purposes
I *strongly do not recommend to use the core GAP system without packages*.

Best wishes
Alexander