[GAP Forum] "SimpleGroup" command

arashrafi at kashanu.ac.ir arashrafi at kashanu.ac.ir
Tue Apr 19 09:43:44 BST 2016

Dear Sara,

The character table of "J4" can be computed by the following command:

gap> CharacterTable("j4");

For sporadic groups, it is possible to work with character tables (and no with groups other than Mathieu groups). But, a permutation or
matrix representation for some sporadic groups are recorded in
ATLAS of Finite Group Representations - Version 3 (http://brauer.maths.qmul.ac.uk/Atlas/v3/spor/). You can copy  a generator set for "j4" from ATLAS and then paste into GAP. But you need a good computer.

I hope this help you.

Regards, Alireza