[GAP Forum] Source code of GAP

Christopher Jefferson caj21 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sat Apr 16 13:59:05 BST 2016

For operations like CharacterTable, there are several implementations in GAP. To find out what is actually called, you can (often) use 'ApplicableMethod', which accepts a function and it's arguments (as a list)

For example, Print(ApplicableMethod(CharacterTable, [AlternatingGroup(5)])) shows the function for finding this character table.

Unfortunately, if we try the same for primitive root, we get:

gap> Print(ApplicableMethod(PrimitiveRoot, [GF(3^5)]));

function ( object )
    <<kernel or compiled code>>
end

This tells us this code is not written in GAP, but instead in C.