[GAP Forum] Reduction of elements of FpGroup

Stephen Linton sl4 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sat Mar 19 13:20:11 GMT 2016

Dear Gaurav Dhingra,

Firstly, I’m afraid there is no standard meaning of “small” in GAP. This is simply a comment by the
developer of this routine to explain what the next few lines are doing.

In fact we can see from the next lines that the test is whether the group can be seen to have order less than 50000. That is whether a faithful homomorphism is known, or can be found (FPFaithHom) and if so whether the image has order < 50000.

This information is used to choose between two different ways of reducing the element to normal form. For “small” groups
the work is done in Factorisation which produces short words and is quick for small groups but can be very slow for larger ones. For larger groups a more sophisticated method is used, which may produce longer normal words, and requires quite a lot of setup but can be much faster for very large groups.

	Steve