[GAP Forum] installation problems with 4.8.2

Alexander Konovalov alexk at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Sat Feb 27 13:09:52 GMT 2016

Dear Benjamin, dear GAP Forum,

Thank you for reporting this - we have heard this three times so far,
from users installing GAP as root outside their home directories (this
will not affect you if you install and run GAP as the same user).

What happened is that several packages were released with files not
having appropriate permissions. This will be fixed in GAP 4.8.3. In
the meantime, please use the following fix to make all package files
world-readable:

cd gap4r8 # or whatever the name is
chmod -R a+r pkg

(we suggest to call it on the whole 'pkg' subdirectory rather than on
individual packages involved, just in case).

Apologies for any inconveniences,
Alexander

P.S. The help system reads information about known help books,
including package manuals, so this is an instance of the same
problem with permissions. Calling `chmod -R a+r pkg` on the whole
pkg directory should fix all problems at once.