[GAP Forum] installation problems with 4.8.2

Benjamin Sambale benjamin.sambale at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 11:04:13 GMT 2016

Dear GAP people,

I installed the new release and the compiling process seemed fine to me
(using a recent arch linux version). When I started, I got the error
that /usr/local/gap4r8/pkg/PolymakeInterface/PackageInfo.g is unreadable
or does not exist (notice that it is a new package). However, the file
does exist, but I found out that most files are owned by 50009 whoever
that is (this was never a problem in previous versions). So I made this
particular file readable for group users. Now I can start GAP and also
the packages load, but the help system is broken:

gap> ?help
Error, no method found! For debugging hints type ?Recovery from
NoMethodFound
Error, no 1st choice method found for `ReadLine' on 1 arguments

I have no idea what is going on. Any ideas?

Best wishes,
Benjamin