[GAP Forum] Meaning of `\=` operation in GAP

Christopher Jefferson caj21 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Jan 5 13:20:50 GMT 2016

The equality operation should always compare for mathematical equality. I agree the documentation could be slightly improved in this area.

For example, the following two permutation groups are equal, as they are both the complete permutation group on 4 points.

gap> Group([(1,2),(2,3,4)]) = Group([(1,4),(2,3,4)]);
true