[GAP Forum] Mailing list for GAP package authors and maintainers

Alexander Konovalov alexander.konovalov at st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Nov 26 23:07:52 GMT 2015

Dear GAP package maintainers and authors,

(This email is addressed to package maintainers and authors, but
I am sending it to the GAP Forum as I hope that I will be able to
reach many of package maintainers and authors this way - apologies
for using Forum for such specific topic)

Formerly we have used email alias to send various emails to package
authors, especially before major releases:

- points to address when preparing your package to the next release.

- information about some potentially disruptive changes.

- questions on your use of some functionality that we may change.

That system did not work very efficient:

- spam filtering became more restrictive, and sometime such emails
  were bounced.

- such email traffic was separated from GAP development mailing
  lists (no archives, not all developers involved in discussions).

- keeping email alias up-to-date was difficult with new packages
  being added and with outdated contact details in PackageInfo.g
  files.

Thus, there is a need for a change. Hence, if you are maintaining
GAP package(s), please consider joining an open GAP mailing list.
(If you're an author, but not a maintainer, of course you're very
welcome to join too!).

You may subscribe to this list here: