[GAP Forum] Handling Errors Automatically?

Andrew Penland andrewpenland at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 15:02:32 GMT 2015

Hi all,

Is there a way to gracefully work around errors in GAP without a human in
the loop? I know about OnBreak, but I haven't been able to get it to do
what I have in mind.

I am working with groups which are finite but very large.  I want to
iterate over a  collection of such groups and try to use the Factorization
algorithm to find a certain element in each one. Sometimes this runs out of
memory.I would like to have GAP catch the error, Print("This group used too
much memory. \n"), then go on to the next group in the list without me
being involved.

Is there any way to do this?

Thank you,
Andrew Penland