[GAP Forum] Abelian Quotient of subgroup (was: no subject)

Alexander Hulpke hulpke at math.colostate.edu
Thu Sep 10 16:30:49 BST 2015

Dear Forum,

> On Sep 10, 2015, at 2:44 AM, fahime babaee <f.alibabaee at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a finitely generated subgroup H of a free group and I want the
> generators of the quotient of H over the commutator subgroup of H. How can
> I do it?

Assuming the subgroup is of finite index, you could apply `MaximalAbelianQuotient’ which gives you an epimorphism onto this quotient.
By taking pre-images of the generators of the image you can get the generating set you want.

Regards,

   Alexander Hulpke

-- Colorado State University, Department of Mathematics,
Weber Building, 1874 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
email: hulpke at math.colostate.edu, Phone: ++1-970-4914288
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke