[GAP Forum] Program

Alexander Hulpke hulpke at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 5 14:33:08 BST 2015

Dear Forum, Dear Fahime BAbaee,

>  Let F be a free group on two generator, I need the following program in
> GAP
This functionality is not built-in, you would have to write your own function.

> Suppose that w \in [F,F] and let x be its first letter. then x^{-1} must
> also occur in w, so w=xux^{-1}v for some u and v  in F, and hence

To get this decomposition you can use:

let:=Subword(w,1,1);  # I’m using `let’ instead of `x’ as `x’ might have been used already.
p:=PositionWord(w,let^-1); # position of x^-1
u:=Subword(w,2,p-1);
v:=Subword(w,p+1,Length(w));

with this, it will be easy to write such a function.

Regards,

   Alexander Hulpke