[GAP Forum] bicyclic extensions of simple groups

Nicholas Gill nicholas.gill at southwales.ac.uk
Thu Feb 26 10:35:52 GMT 2015

Hi GAP-folk,

I would like to construct a bunch of bicyclic extensions of some finite simple groups. Here "bicyclic" is in the sense of the ATLAS. I'm thinking of things like
3.A6.2, 6.A6.2, 12.A6.2, (2x2).Sz(8).3
I realise the definition of these things is a little icky. In fact I only need an example of each such group up to isoclinism - this is what the ATLAS provides and that's good enough for me... But to start any example of such a group would be handy.

I've tried a bunch of things to get my hands on these groups, but failed. In most cases a presentation is not known (I think), so I'm a little stuck. Any suggestions?

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question - my GAP knowledge continues to hover around pathetic / embarrassing.

Nick :)