[GAP Forum] Primitive Group Library problems

Gordon Royle gordon.royle at uwa.edu.au
Wed Feb 25 05:08:42 GMT 2015

Dear Gapsters

I work with both GAP and Magma which use a different numbering system for their respective PrimitiveGroup libraries.

Therefore I keep having to work out which “Gap-number” corresponds to which “Magma-number” for particular groups.

So I decided to make a “once and for all” calculation and create a master table with the correspondence between the two numbering systems.

During routine sanity checking at the end of this process, I was surprised to discover that the two libraries contain different numbers of groups.

In particular,

gap> NrPrimitiveGroups(1575);
6

> NumberOfPrimitiveGroups(1575);
8

Closer inspection reveals that the GAP library is missing two groups - they have orders 14742000000 and 29484000000; the first one can be identified as PSU(4,5) and it is contained in the second group.

All the best

Gordon

Professor Gordon Royle
School of Mathematics and Statistics