[GAP Forum] The stability of group libraries

Peter Cameron pjc at mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Jan 29 10:47:46 GMT 2015

Just a brief addendum to Alexander's comment.

Ákos Seress, Primitive groups with no regular orbits on the set of
subsets, Bull. London Math. Soc. 29 (1997), 697-704, identifies primitive
groups by their (old) GAP numbers. It is now a bit of work to match them
with the new numbers.

In cases like this where the numbering changes, for whatever reason, I
think it is important to have a mechanism to match old numbers to new.

Peter.

> Dear GAP Developers, Dear GAP-Forum,
>
> I would like to know what the policy is concerning the groups
> in the the very useful GAP libraries of transitive permutation groups and
> of primitive permutation groups (and any other group library you wish to
> comment on)
> as regards to any possible changes wihen changes are made in GAP. In
> particular,
> were the actual groups in the library, their GeneratorsOfGroup, and their
> indexing
> within the library fixed in perpetuity when the library was initially made
> available in GAP4,
> and if not, what is the mechanism to alert users to any changes? This is
> important
> for being able to repeat, check, report on, and extend results made using
> specific
> groups in a given  library.
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Leonard

This email address will stop working sometime soon. Please use the address
pjc20 at st-andrews.ac.uk instead.