[GAP Forum] The stability of group libraries

Leonard Soicher l.h.soicher at qmul.ac.uk
Thu Jan 29 07:53:01 GMT 2015

Dear Alexander K., Stefan, Dima, Alexander H., Derek,  and GAP-Forum,

Thank you for the useful replies.

> - In the library of transitive groups, the actual permutation groups
> (but not the generators used) are guaranteed to be stable. So you could refer
> to a particular point set and a particular group in a combinatorial construction.

Good.

> - The *new* library of primitive groups, release with GAP 4.2, guarantees a stable
> numbering  [...] but does not guarantee a fixed S_n representative or particular generators.

It would be better if the actual permutation groups in the library of
primitive groups could be guaranteed to be stable.
Why would this not be possible?

Finally, the guarantees (or their lack, or any cautions) for specific libraries should be
documented in the GAP reference manual.

Thanks,
Leonard