[GAP Forum] a third output for IsAbelian

Ali alireza_abdollahi at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 13:32:32 GMT 2015

Dears,

I have a long list L of groups with finite presentations. I would like to apply IsAbelian on L and Filtered all groups which are not Abelian. Through the computations, IsAbelian could not treat an special group and so the Filtered will not be terminated. I would like to know if there is a way to define a third output for IsAbelian such as FAIL which means that it is tried to test abelianness by a certain limit ( e.g. Time or number of cosets or ...) but not succeeded.  If such thing exists I can apply this new IsAbelian to the list L to obtain all groups which are not abelian or the old IsAbelian fails to give a true or false. Then I can handle the filtered list by hand since I guess the latter list should be short.

The same question for IsSolvable and ....

Best Wishes
Alireza Abdollahi