[GAP Forum] Sqrt for the cyclotomic numbers

Dima Pasechnik dmitrii.pasechnik at cs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 21 10:46:56 GMT 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 02:05:30PM +0000, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> Dear Sebastien,
>
> Once again, your X can be written as X=L*DL, with D diagonal and real. The
> group L^-1 G L preserves the Hermitian form x*Dx. In particular any g in this
> group satisfies g*Dg=D.

> As it acts irreducibly, D is a scalar matrix, thus g  is unitary.
Sorry, this last claim is wrong: to get a unitary g, you will need
to take D^(1/2) g D^(-1/2). I suppose this is still easier
to compute than taking square roots during the diagonalisation of X.

> Indeed, for computing D cyclotomics might not suffice, but we do not need D
> explicitly.
here I meant "computing D^(1/2)", certainly, not just D.

I shall never again write to Form from a mobile phone. :-)

Dima